Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Life as Sarah the Human
Friday, March 21, 2008

Bread Work

This time last year, we had a cake feast.

Now, for this weekend, it's going to be Bread Galore! And it's because we have a pack of bread flour that's expiring in 2 weeks. Again.

Today, I made Chocolate Wassants. Cinnamon rolls should be rolling out tomorrow. Plus a loaf of bread maybe? Must must must finish the flour this weekend since I'm planning to put on my mugger glasses next week.

On this very Good Friday, I woke up as the sun starting shining in. Instead of going for a run, I decided to start on the chocolate spread. So by 8.45am, I was slaving over the kitchen stove , and wondering why the chocolate spread was so lumpy. Ding dong ding dong - the butter! It was still on the table-top! But then I was just done spreading the chocolate on a cling wrap and I wasn't going to reheat and spread the chocolate again (it took me forever to do it 'cause the cling wrap is so clingy!), so I just plonked it into the fridge anyway.

Bread dough next. I was picking out the ingredients needed when I realised that the yeast we had at home had expired in September last year. Kind sister T offered to get them for me but she only came back around 2pm. So in the meantime, I ate, slept, watched some old crappy show and came online - anything but do serious work.

You know how bread doughs need lots of kneading. I thought my at-least-10-year-old mixer could handle the stress, or at least the first part of it (about 10 minutes). Clearly not. My grandfather mixer lasted just 5 minutes on low, before it got so warm I decided I'd better not risk it because I didn't want it to die. But I forgot to flour the board and my hands before kneading, so the dough stuck to the board as my hands stuck to the dough and the board kept moving and hitting against everything at its side - irritating!

So for the second part of the kneading, I decided to pop the dough back into the mixing bowl and Sister T offered to help me with the mixer. After about 3 minutes, she stopped it. I was like, "Never mind, just try a little bit more", but just 5 seconds into it and oh my goodness! It started to smoke! My grandfather mixer obviously couldn't tahan anymore, so hands it is and I stretched, pulled, pushed the dough for the next 15 minutes. I could actually feel drops of perspiration forming on my forehead as my hands worked the dough!

Finally it was time to let the dough rest and rise. I went back after an hour and yay - I see a bulge under the damp towel! Good sign! When I lifted the towel, I was wowed! The dough which only filled less than half the pot initially was now in full bloom! The recipe said "punch the air out", so I did and the air came out with an audible Plop! Awww... So satisfying!

Then it was just rolling out the dough and spreading the chocolate and rolling again and cutting into mini triangles to roll again. And yes, rest for 50 minutes again. Yeast stuff need too much rest, really!

After all that resting, they were finally ready to be pushed into the oven. But just as I was leaving the kitchen, I remembered about the egg wash! So I scrambled to scramble the egg and paint the wassants. Now, they are finally really ready to be baked! Yayness!

It was simply ooo la la as the aroma of the bread wafted through the house. Nice! Very nice! How great it'd be to wake up to the smell of freshly-baked bread every morning! I tell Mom we should get a breadmaker, because all we have to do is to measure out the ingredients, dump them in (Yes, no more kneading by hand!) and out comes a loaf of yummy bread without the preservatives, in the exact flavour we want, right when we want it. Easy and fuss-free!

My products of love turned out awesome! They had a crispy crust, but the insides were soft and fluffy! With a slab of butter, the wassants were oh-so-sinful but delicious! Perfect for tomorrow's breakfast!





About Me

sarah. 12 november. singapore. nerd. canoeist. canoeing. sun. food. simplicity. procrastinating.


For the Busybody


Word of the Day




Archives

February 2004
March 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
August 2010


Great Links

babes

brenda
yvonne
blurblur queen
mrs spongebob
bin
loud voice
small eyes
teresa
adeline
sally
netty
dana
lynette
jirong


hunks

foodie
big mouth
junny
zuohan
andri
deming


Tagboard




Credits

design by maystar
powered by blogger


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com